||Schalit Eliezer Elhanan
Eliezer Elhanan Schalit was born in Ponibesht, district of Kovna, in Lithuania. His parents died while he was still a child and he was brought up by his older brothers who, after his "Bar Mitzvah", required him to leave school and go to work. The child who was hungry for knowledge would borrow books in mathematics and Russian grammar from his friends and would read them in secret.
From time to time he was caught at it and punished. Later he moved to Poltava where he married the daughter of the "Hassid" Aharonovitch. As he himself belonged to the "mitnagdim" school he was forced to distance himself from the benefits of his father-in-law and began to work as an agent for a trader in wheat. Later he became an independent merchant and travelled extensively.
With the onset of the uprisings against the Jews, Jewish National feelings awakened in him. He joined the "Lovers of Zion" movement and became an enthusiastic member.
In 1882 Eliezer Elhanan Schalit came to the Land of Israel with his family and became one of the founding fathers of the village ofWhen he contracted a serious illness he travelled in search of a cure to Berlin to his daughter and son-in law who lived there. He died and, as the first world war had broken out, he was buried there. Many years later, in 1971, his body was brought for burial and reinterred at the top of the hill in the old cemetery in Rishon Le Zion.