Shimshon Belkind was born in Bilhawisk, district of Minsk in White Russia. He studied Jewish studies with his father and went on to study in the Russian High School in Mohilev. When in 5th grade he moved to St. Petersberg with a view to studying pharmacy and worked as an apprentice in the Royal pharmacy.
When his brother, Israel Belkind, established the "Bilu" movement, Shimshon terminated his studies and in 1882 came to the country and joined the group of "Biluim" that were living in the Anton Ayub house near Jaffa. He worked together with them in Mikve Israel until the group left in 1884. He moved to Jerusalem and joined the Biluim group "Shehu" there whose aim was to teach its members a trade and he learnt carpentry and ironwork. When he sickened some months later he left the group and moved to Rishon Le Zion.
Here, together with others, he revolted against the Baron's officials and he was extradited from the village. He settled in Gedera and became a farmer with his own farm. When the extradition order was cancelled he sold up his farm and together with his wife andthe British completed the conquest of the country Shimshon Belkind and his son Ethan travelled to Damascus and brought back the bones of Naaman and of Yosef Lishansky for re-interment in Rishon Le Zion.
During the riots of 1936 his son Meir was murdered. Despite the blows he suffered during his lifetime he played an active role in public service. He was a member of the first community centre committee and a founder of the reading evenings programme. He was a member of the orchestra, for many years a member of the village committee and a member of the farmers? committee and a signator to the deed for the establishement of the Rothschild Museum. In l921 he was the chairman of the village committee.
In this year there were many important achievements: an official government post office was set up in Rishon Le Zion; a special official was appointed for the collection of the village taxes and decisions were taken on taxing those bringing in goods to the village market; rulings were established for official local electionsand the flour mill which was in need of repair and had for some time been out of use was repaired and put into use.