Freiman Dror Aharon Mordehai
Born: 1846
Birth Place: Russia,
Immigrated: 1882
Arrived: 1882
Residence in the Village:
Occupation:
Departed:
Departed to:
Died: 1924
Belonging to Group
Freiman Yosef Tzvi
 
Freiman Tzirka Sarah
Englisher Meir
 
Englisher Rosa
    Freiman Dror Aharon Mordehai   Freiman Miriam    
Children:   Belkind (Freiman) Pnina    Yudelovitch (Freiman) Zipora    Freiman Shmuel    Freiman Yaacov    Ginzburg (Freiman) Sarah    Freiman Yoel    Shor Shochat (Freiman) Bat Sheva    Ratner (Freiman) Rachel

The founder, Aharon Mordehai Frieman, was born in Russia. In 1882, with the rise of the "Lovers of Zion" movement in Russia, he came to Eretz Israel. In Jaffa he joined the Committee of the First Pioneers and together with the other founding fathers of Rishon Le Zion he took over the property on Tu B-Av (July 31st), 1882. From then onwards he played an active role in all the public acitivities that took place in the village - in all its fields - material and cultural alike. Already in the first year he built his home which was one of the first in the village and then planted the first vineyard in the village. In the same year he initiated the establishment of the first school and on his own initiative and account invited a teacher from Hebron as well as the Rav Haim Tuvia Rappaport. He set up a tent on his property in which he placed a long low table and the children/pupils sat on the ground and learnt.
During the uprising against the Baron's officials, in the early years of the village, when the official Hirsch threatened to bring an end to the village, Frieman jumped up and shouted ?Lies. Rishon Le Ziontime for revival - and its decisive influence on the future of life in Eretz Israel..
Interesting to note, that even before Herzl's book "Altneuland" was published, Frieman published articles that dealt with the future of the Jewish people and the Land of Israel and suggested that a congress be convened in which "they should seek ways of obtaining the Land of Israel in a way that would be agreeable and acceptable to the nations".
In 1904, on the 30th day after Herzl's death, a remembrance ceremony took place in the synagogue in Rishon Le Zion in which members of all the villages and representatives from Jerusalem took part and it was A.H. Freiman who read the eulogy.
During his chairmanship of the village committee he introduced the registration of births, marriages and deaths in the village. It was also at this time that the community received the monopoly from the Baron's officials for the sale of wine in Jaffa and Jerusalem and the first Winegrowers? Co-operative was founded as well as a trialorganization for the transportation of the wine. These, in fact, were the basis for the "Winegrowers" Co-operative Industry?. It was in his time that the problem of taxes was settled, rules were set down for selection of the village committee, economic independence of the pharmacy and the flour mill were achieved, a committee that included all the villages in Judea, at the centre of which stood Rishon Le Zion, was set up, a water tower and tank were built to provide a regular supply of water, a second storey was built on to the clinic and on his initiative a wall was built all around the cemetery. Other examples of his initiative were: In 1902 he founded a Zionist Society in Jaffa called "Barkai", he volunteered to visit villages and towns in the Galilee and set up Zionist societies.
In Bierut he established a society called "Ness Levanon", in Safed "Beth Yosef" and in Metulla "Tal HaHermon" Freiman was the chairman of the committee of the Zionists to the "Ayn HaKoreh Association" (1906), a member of the control committee, chairman of the Charity Society, chaiman of theTalmud Torah committee, chairman of the Beth Hamisdreash, chairman of the Big synagogue, chairman of the Orchestra committee, chairman of the Ahuza Farmlands committee and the Hevrat Rishonia Farmlands committee.
Freiman made a point of writing down in his diary every event that took place in the village from its inception up to its 30th anniversary.
He published the material in a two volume book - "The anniversary book of the story of Rishon Le Zion" , a book which serves as a most important source of information regarding the history of Rishon Le Zion.
In 1908 Freiman served as advisor for the founding of the village of Be-er Yaakov and for its rules and regulations and at the founding ceremony he made the central speech. "As a symbol of revival", according to Yudelovitch, A.M.Freiman changed his name in his early days in the country from a name that had connotations of the diasporah to the hebrew name DROR. The name also signified the revolution he underwent as a result of his coming to Eretz Israeland his determination to be independent and not submit to the Baron's officials and indeed he purchased his farm with his own money and was never dependent on the Baron's assistance. After his death the local council named the street alongside his home "Dror Street". His house is still standing to this day (2003).
A.M.Freiman died in Rishon le Zion and was buried in the old cemetery here.

Bibliography