Freiman Yaacov
Born: 1876
Birth Place: Russia,
Immigrated: 1882
Arrived: 1882
Residence in the Village:
Occupation: farmer, vintner, surveyor
Departed:
Departed to:
Died: 1947
Belonging to Group
Freiman Dror Aharon Mordehai
 
Freiman Miriam
Yarovsky Yosef
 
Yarovsky Dina
    Freiman Yaacov   Freiman (Yarovski) Sonia Sarah    
Children:   Dror Freiman Eliel    Shpeir (Freiman) Vered    Freiman Dror Yosef

Yaakov Freiman was born in Warsaw. At age six, in 1882, he immigrated to Eretz Israel with his parents, founders of Rishon Le-Zion. He was among the first pupils of the "Heder" of Rabbi Tuvia Haim Rappaport and of the elementary school ("Haviv") in the village.
He was a farmer and wine grower. On his own, he learned the system for being a land surveyor and for many years dealt with measuring the lands of the village and setting up the borders for each field and plot and he managed the Village Committee's property registers.
He played in the village "orchestra".
In 1918-1922 was a member of the Village Committee. Later, he was a member of the Farmer's Committee and active in all public matters.
He was head of the Local Council from 1933-1936.
The years that he served as head of the Council were times of economic boom in the country, in general, and in Rishon Le-Zion, in particular. A large wave of immigrants arrived at the village and inspired a new way of life. There was a tremendous growth in planting and building and this aroused the Local Council and allowed it to enhance the activity of its institutions and to improve the services to the citizens. Industrial enterprises were established ("Tirza", "Ketter", "Okava", "Gavish" and others); roads and sidewalks were paved; "Beit Hapoalim" was built; a slaughter house and modern market were built; different public buildings were expanded; a population census was carried out. Also in the field of cultural an awakening was sensed: responsibility for the school and kindergarten was transferred to the Council and its financial matters were under its jurisdiction; a second floor was added to the school and the number of students increased; a cultural committee was founded and lectures on different subjects were given - a type of continuation of the "reading evenings" of the past; a special building was built for the public library with a reading hall - the donation of Z.D. Levontin to the village - and a sum of money was assigned for purchase of new books; a lot was handed over for the building of "Beit Hamaccabi"; a contract was signed with Eitan Belkind about leasing the "Naaman" cinema; a field was set aside for the building of a playground.
The medical field also developed: a medical service was set up in the educational institutions; sanitary inspection was started for the streets, stores and groceries, restaurants, hotels and more.
For sixteen years - until his last years – Yaakov Freiman ran the "Loan and Savings" society and served as is honorary president.