||Adiny (Idelman) Yona
Yona Adini (Idelman) was born in the Ukraine at the beginning of the 20th century (1900). He studied in a "Heder" and at home with private teachers. At the age of 13 he became a teacher teaching his nephews talmud. At 14 he entered the "yeshiva" and later the gymnasium in Odessa as well as belonging to a group of actors who performed in Yiddish. The saga of his coming to the Land of Israel spans two years of wandering from town to town, partly on foot. On his way he organized a group of amateur theatre players and in this way they got a license to travel from place to place moving all the time closer to the border. In various places he worked as a woodcutter, a porter and in other manual tasks.
In 1921, after reaching Istanbul (Constantinople), he and his group boarded a cargo boat that took them to Haifa.
Yona Idelman (Adini) acted as the treasurer of the group and even taught his fellow passengers Hebrew. From Haifa he was sent to Petah Tikva where he worked in the vineyards, the orange groves and at almond picking and where he contracted malaria. Later, inhumanistic subjects putting special emphasis on Bible studies, folk tales, Talmud and Mishna and that, with specific intention. "One has to teach the young generation" - so he believed - the sources of their culture and their language and the national values of the prophets?. He taught the Bible based on the explanations of Rashi whose works include both instruction and explanatory stories which elaborate on national ethics. He also paid special attention to the teaching of history and grammar. As a class teacher he maintained close relations with the parents of his pupils and organized extra classes for the weaker pupils. In 1939 he was chosen as a member of the cultural committee in the village and later managed the village library and acted as chairman of the local branch of the Jewish National Fund. Until he retired in 1966, Yona Adivi served as principal of the first Hebrew school, the school which, on his initiative, was given the name "Haviv". During his early years as headmaster, alongside the founding of the state, he had to deal with the rapid increase in the number of pupils, he setup a botany room, a music room and a library and later a sports field and a gymnasium for physical training. He involved the parents in what was happening in the school and ,on his own initiative, he instituted an education fee to cover improvements in the school, to help with its increasing size and to enrich the school's activities even before the idea became national policy. He organized cultural functions in the school and in this way created a cultural basis for the village itself. He established a night school for parents which introduced lectures in education and psychology. He also set up similar schools in Givatayim and Tel Aviv. He was personally involved in the achievements of his pupils and in their difficulties and together with the teachers he evolved ways for helping the weaker ones to advance. He attended the classrooms and directed the teachers in order to maintain cleanliness in the school. He instituted a day for group work, set up a carpentry shop, a welding shop and a sewing classroom as well as a large choir, dance troupes, a drama troupe, pupils? newspapers, a gym andhandball and netball fields.
In the wake of his success in managing the school budget he was invited to lecture on the subject to the teachers and principals in the district. He published articles on educational subjects in "Hed HaHinuch", the Histradrut Teachers magazine. In his day the school was one of the largest in the country. As from 1964 he acted as a signatory for the Jewish National Fund. Together with the teachers Salamon and Dorot he managed an evening high school for working youngsters. He was an active member of Bnei Brith? and served as its president. Together with his wife Sara he was active in promoting the bursury fund of the club and the two of them founded a fund for needy pupils. After his death a school in the eastern part of the town near the Bernstein estate, was called in his name.