Mordechai Abramovitch was born in Yassi, Rumania. In 1883, at the age of 10 he immigrated with his family to Eretz Israel. The family settled in Jerusalem and in 1884 moved to Rishon Le-Zion.
He studied at the village's elementary school ("Haviv"). When he finished school he went to work under the guidance of Kavelan, the French gardener and agricultural instructor. Later on he was the gardener's assistant-clerk and worked in all the numerous agricultural branches. He took part in the planting of the large eucalyptus trees near the Community Hall, in the Avenue of the Palms in the Village Park, and more.
In 1895, at the age of 23, he left his work as a clerk of the Baron Rothschild and devoted his time to working his own farm.
During the Ottoman rule he served as the village "Mukhtar". During that time Rishon Le-Zion was under the jurisdiction of the Beit Dagan "Mukhtaria" and, as a result, the farmers' affairs ran into difficulties in all matters related to contact with the government. The "Mukhtar", Mordechai Abramovitch, succeeded in settling matters with the "Mukhtar" of Beit Dagan and solved the villagers' problems.
In 1906 he and Arieh Leib Gissin, at their own expense, set up two machines for separating the oil from the geranium, which they had planted two earlier.
Later, together with his brother, Elchanan, he rented the flour mill for ten years.
Among his wide-ranged public activities, Mordechai Abramovitch was voted to stand at the head of the Farmers' Committee in 1919, a position which he held also in 1924 and from 1927-1928.
In 1922 he was sent by the Village Committee, together with Shimshon Belkind, to the British governor in Jerusalem and, as a result of their visit, Rishon Le-Zion received the status of a local council. Later, he served for years as a council member and managed its financial department.
He took part in the founding of the "Kupa Hachlait" (the village bank) and served as its first manager from 1923-1924. At the end of the 1920's and during the early 1930's, he was head of the "Vaadat Hakfar" (the Town Committee) and representative of the village before government service for land arrangements and was very useful in bringing about the surveying of the village's lands and determining its borders and ownership. He served on the winery's Council and its' Inspection Commission. He was a member of the Sand-dunes Commission, the Great Synagogue's Committee and was chosen as its honorary "Gabbai" (manager). As arbitrator, he was successful in settling many of the conflicts among the villagers and thus avoiding complicating matters in court.