||Haviv Lubman Dov Avraham
Avraham Dov Haviv Lubman (Boris Lubman) was born in White Russia in the district of Mogilev in the village of Haritzoba - one of the Jewish villages that had been set up by order of the Czar Nikolai in an attempt to involve the Jews in agriculture. His father, Yehuda Leib Gedaliahu HaCohen Levontin was the son of the Levontin family but because of the military laws in Russia he took the name of the Lubman members of his family.
Dov Haviv Lubman received an orthodox education but from an early age he was interested in furthering his education and when he grew up he moved to Moscow with the intention of studying at the university there. When the "Hibat Zion" Movement began to function among the Jews of Russia he became interested in the idea of resettlement of the Land of Israel and, together with his cousin Mordehai Lubman, he visualized the idea of emigrating to Eretz Israel and the idea of working the land there. In 1884 he came to the country and settled in Yehudia near Petah Tikva on a farm that was given to him by the "Hovevei Zion" movement invinters. He was one of the founding members of the vinters? association and was on the management of the Carmel Oriental wineries and of the board of the winery.
As a devoted national idealist he fought for the use of the Hebrew Language. In 1904 he changed his name from Boris Lubman to Dov Haviv. In the same year he was elected to the chairmanship of the village committee for the first time and in 1908, after the revolt of the "Ahduth and Kidma" party and the rule of the "Young Turks" to the government in Turkey he was the first chairman in the country to be officially recognized by the Turkish Administration as the head of the village "Rais el Baladia".
During WWI Dov Haviv Lubman was one of those who influenced Jamal Pasha to hand over the area of the sand dunes to Rishon Le Zion. As a Turkish citizen lands that were bought by expatriate Jews and for the Jewish National Fund (? the lands of Hulda, Kefar Uriah and Ruhama) were registered in his name. Towards the end of the war he was arrested for being a "Zionist" and the militarygovernment was about to expel him to Damascus to face a military court martial as a traitor to the homeland.
The Advance of the Allied armies prevented this and, as head of the village, he had the honor of receiving the victorious army and giving them his blessing.
Later when Lord Balfour visited Rishon Le Zion, it was he who, as chairman of the village committee, handed over to him a scroll of recognition. Likewise he received the President of Czechoslovakia, Thomas Massaryk, when he visited the village.
For many years Dov Haviv Lubman played a leading role in public activity, local and cultural. For 14 years he was alternately the chairman or a member of the village committee.
From 1923-1925 he was the head of the Local Council. During his years of leadership of the village committee and local council the village was first officially recognized as a "Baladia". The lands of Beth Dagon were purchased and the road from Beth Dagon to Rishon Le Zion was tarmacced with the help of the Jewish ColonialAssociation and the government.; the Farmers? Association that dealt with the affairs of the farmers of Rishon Le Zion was set up; the main street in the village - Rothschild Street - was paved; the parcelling out of the Sarafand El Harab and Kosby lands was executed and the territories were integrated into the village territory and were known as "Ahuza A and Ahuza B". With donations from the Baroness Adelaide de Rothschild the first Hebrew kindergarten was built alongside the community centre; the village was connected to the electricity network for Purim 1927 and the "Naaman" cinema was inaugurated.
Dov Haviv Lubman was one of the founders of the first National Fund which was established in the village in 1889 and it was he who chose the name. For years he was chairman of the school committee. He was a member of the library committee, of the cultural committee and he played an instrument in the orchestra.
He was one of the founders of the community centre and of the reading evenings society. He was a member of the temporarycommittee of the village and a delgate to the first "elected assembly", a member of the "Bney Brith" organization from its inception and a member of the "Benjamin de Rothschild" branch.
He was one of the first organizing members of The Committee of Villages in Judea?, a member of its central committee and a lecturer at its meetings. As a member of the Farmers? Association he helped the founders of the "Herzelia" High School in Jaffa. He was one of the instigating members of the Rothschild museum in Rishon Le Zion and a signatory to the foundation scroll.
Dov Haviv Lubman was considered to be a talented orator and was the orator on many special public occasions that took place in the village. This is a partial list: at the gathering for Herzl's memorial he spoke in the name of the Zionists of Rishon Le Zion; at the reception in Rishon Le Zion for the political delegation headed by Hayim Weizman and the Baron Rothschiold; at the reception for Lord Balfour, in honor of the British High Commissioner, Sir Herbert Samuel and Lady Samuel on their departure from RishonLe Zion; at the reception for the second High Commissioner - Lord Plumer - at the recption for Amery, the British Minister of the Colonies; at a reception for Lord and Lady Melchett, the honorary president of World Maccabi organization; on the occasion of the inauguration of electricity into the village; at a reception for teachers from Egypt; at a congress for the use of the Hebrew language; at a reception for the Baron Rothschild on his visit to the village as well as at the memorial gathering after his death; at a protest meeting against the ?White Paper?; at parties in honor of veteran personalities.
He published many articles in newspapers in the country on topical and national subjects. He was a member of the editors committee for the book ?Rishon Le Zion - 60th anniversary?. He wrote a book on Rishon Le Zion as one of a series of books written about various settlements that were published by "Lanoar" on behalf of the Keren Hakayemet Le Israel. Other books: "Misipore HaRishonim Le Zion" and "Bnei Dov".
Dov Haviv Lubman lived to see the founding of the State of Israel and died at the beginning of 1950. At the meeting of the City Council on January 1st, 1950 it was decided to name the elementary school, the first Hebrew school in the world, in his name: "Beit Sefer Haviv", in recognition and in honor of his many activities for the village and its people.