Gershon Horowitz was born in Vilna. He attended a "Cheder" and a few "Yeshivas" including the famous Yeshiva "Mir". When he was about seventeen years old, he was captured by the idea of higher education and devoted himself on his own and in secrecy, to the studies of the Hebrew language and its literature as well as – for the study of other languages and science. When this has been exposed, he was expelled from the Yeshiva and moved to Warsaw to prepare himself for studying in the university. Here, as a result of his belief in the ideas of the Lovers of Zion movement and the - revival of the Land and the people of Israel, he turned to study at the College of Agriculture. After graduating, he was one of six young Jews selected by the Zion Lover's committee of Odessa as designated to specialize in agricultural training in Eretz Israel and to serve as instructors for the township's farmers.
In the year 1885, he immigrated to Eretz Israel. He worked for a while in Zichron Yaakov under the tutelage of the French gardener and was then sent to Rosh Pina, and afterwards –to Yesod Hamaala. In Yesod Hamaala he established the first plant nursery.
When he got sick with malaria and after having a dispute with the Baron's clerk, he moved in the year 1888 to Rishon Lezion and was engaged alongside the head gardener, in teaching field and vineyard work. Here as well he laid the foundation for the large plant nursery and planted the "Baron Orchard" that is the "Gan Hamoshava" and - the special Palm Avenue in it.
Later, he was appointed by the Baron to be a clerk- manager of Beer Tuvia.
He was the first who planted in the place eucalyptus trees and was nicknamed "Abu Coliftus" by the Arabs.
In 1890, Gershon Horowitz was sent to Petach Tikva to fulfill the Baron's decision to start planting there. And again, he was sent to Beer Tuvia and devoted himself to the development of the grain fields' branch but concluded - the first in the settlements then - that the branch will not succeed. Indeed, many attempts made by various experts to contradict this conclusion, were unsuccessful.
Upon his marriage to Rachel Papirmayster, indigenous of Rishon Lezion, he settled in the township and became a winegrower.
Due to his extreme seriousness and sense of heavy responsibility that he carried on his shoulders, the people of Rishon Lezion called him in absentia, "The Achad Ha'am of Rishon Letzion."
Alongside his agricultural work, he was engaged in diversified public and cultural activities: Member of the "Beit Haam" committee and one of the founders of the evenings' reading sessions; library board member; he was elected several times as a member of the Townships' Committee; active in "B'nei Brit"; along with J. Z. Shmulitznsky, he managed the central office of the "Carmel Mizrachi" company; he visited the various branches in Eretz Israel, Egypt and Syria and acquired new markets for wine and almonds made by the Company; he conducted the French correspondence with branches abroad and was especially meticulous on the collection. Indeed, thanks to this activity for thirty years, he had a large part in establishing the status of "Carmel Mizrachi" and the Hebraic vine growers in Eretz Israel, he was one of the founders of the agricultural fund, and was a signatory in 1936, on the Charter of the Rothschild museum in the Township (an initiative which was aborted).