The committee of Va'ad Halutzeh Yesod Ha'maalah
The Committee was established in Jaffa, March 19, 1882.
Its aim was to co-ordinate land purchase and found agricultural settlements in Eretz Israel.
"… and to serve as a center to which all who come to take hold of the holy land can approach."
The committee decided on the establishment of a settlement to be called "Rishon Le-Zion".
In July 1882, committee members purchased the lands of "Ayun Kara" and built their village there. Only six of the committee's members actually lived and worked in Rishon Le-Zion.