Rabbis and Ritual Slaughterers
The office of the Rabbinate and Ritual Slaughterer existed in Rishon Le-Zion for over forty years.
Scholars fulfilled the role of village rabbi and spiritual leader of the community, carried out wedding ceremonies and managed the birth and death registers.
Their duties ended with the founding of the institutionalized local Rabbinate in 1921. In this year the Higher Rabbinate Institution for Jews in Eretz Israel was established which, henceforth, would be responsible for nominating the local rabbis.