The village, Rishon Le-Zion, had just been established and suffered difficult times. A lot of money had been invested in digging the wells and preparing the land for sowing, the financial means of the settlers had diminished and several suffered economic crisis.
Sketch by the administrator, Eliyahu Scheid – "Beit Hapkidut" (Administration House)
The first Administration House
Second Administration House, today "Beit Yad Lebanim" (Memorial for Fallen Soldiers)
"And when signs of shortage could be seen", wrote Z. Haviv, "and the question of our future stood before us in all its acuteness and bitterness, it was decided to send a representative abroad to ask for help".
The founder, Yoseph Feinberg, was chosen to fulfill this mission and as a result of his endeavors with the Baron Edmund de Rothschild, it was agreed that the Baron would take the village under his patronage, "And he sent the first twenty-five thousand francs to Rishon Le-Zion with Shmuel Hirsch, the head of Mikveh Israel (Agricultural School) and also appointed the agronomist, Digour, as the local manager in the village to teach the people of Rishon Le-Zion the practice of working the land and also to manage the affairs of the village. His office was called Beit Hapkidut" and his title was: "Pakid" (administrator).
And from this administrator, Digour, onward the period of the "Pkidut" began and caused a stir during the early days of the "Yishuv"(settlement), the first seventeen years: 1883-1900.